Wednesday, October 24, 2018

"All That Remains"
In October 2018, the Virtual Painter group is
in Heshima, Japan...on The Ghost Island.
*****
I got very interested in this place and watched videos,
read what I could .   In the 1890's it was 
an undersea coal mine island...and that 
was what existed there...the mining and the 
workers...a village sprung up....then, the population grew to 
5,259 living in high concrete  bldgs..,,,crowded etc. In 1974 
Minolta, who owned the mines , closed it all 
down and gave the people 3 months to get off the island. 
Thus it was abandoned and also felt 
some Atomic Bomb effects....Now, tourists visit to
feel its eeriness...
   
a

1 comment:

Shammickite said...

Loved this piece of art. I was fascinated with the history of Hashima too, what a strange eerie place. I was going to do a painting via Virtual Paintout too, but somehow the time got away from me.